Agartala 02-05-2023: Assam Gas Company Limited (AGCL) and Oil India Limited (OIL) have entered into a joint venture to operate city natural gas distribution networks in parts of Assam and Tripura. The newly formed Joint-venture Private Limited Company (JVPCL) will focus on setting up local gas grids and supplying piped natural gas to domestic and commercial establishments.
AGCL, which is owned by the Assam Government, will hold a majority stake of 51 percent in the joint venture, while OIL, a central government-owned company, will hold the remaining 49 percent. The company’s primary objective is to supply gas for cooking purposes in districts of Assam such as Lakhimpur, Dhemaji, Darrang, Udalguri, Sonitpur, and Biswanath Chariali, as well as certain districts in Tripura.
The company aims to expand its reach by providing a reliable and affordable natural gas supply to households and businesses in the region. The joint venture is expected to benefit the people of Assam and Tripura by creating employment opportunities, boosting economic growth, and providing an eco-friendly alternative to conventional fuel sources.
This joint venture is a significant step towards the development of the natural gas distribution network in the Northeastern region of India, and it is likely to have a positive impact on the region’s socio-economic development.