Agartala, August 17, 2026: Tripura Tribal Welfare Minister Bikash Debbarma has appealed to a faction of a returnee militant group to withdraw the shutdown and proposed National Highway and railway blockade called for Tuesday, describing the programme as “totally illegal.”
Speaking to the media, Debbarma said the group that has called the shutdown is separate from the groups associated with Parimal Debbarma, Prasenjit Debbarma, Hastepha and Bishwamohan Debbarma. He claimed that members of the group had earlier returned to normal life but later became involved in illegal activities.
“I appeal to them to withdraw tomorrow’s shutdown. Otherwise, the law will take its own course,” Debbarma said.
The minister urged the group to resolve its grievances through dialogue instead of blocking roads or disrupting public life. He said his doors were always open for discussions and asked all groups to come to the table to resolve their issues.
“Road blockades and shutdowns can never solve problems. Problems can only be resolved by sitting at the table and talking,” he said.
Debbarma also expressed concern over the impact of the proposed blockade on students, patients and other people who depend on roads and railways for essential travel. He appealed to the organisers to consider the difficulties faced by the public and withdraw the shutdown.
He warned that if the blockade goes ahead, the administration would take action according to law and would not allow disruption of normal life.
The minister said the government remains committed to maintaining peace in Tripura and would deal firmly with any attempt to create unrest.
“Everyone has a responsibility to make Tripura more developed and a better state. We must work together and take Tripura forward,” he said.
Tripura Minister Urges Returnee Militant Group to Withdraw Tuesday Shutdown, Calls It ‘Illegal’
Leave a comment
Leave a comment


